.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Friday, April 04, 2014

Laundry, Laundry, Laundry

In the first dream of the night I found myself up to my arms in freshly laundered bedding, with another full load in the washer about to finish spinning. I needed to make room for it so was folding frantically. Everything I took out of the dryer seemed to spawn another item, the stack of folding was already up to my chin where it was stacked on top of the washer. (I don't think I even own that many bed linens.) I was thinking that's what I got for not putting the first dryer load away, but then realized I wouldn't have been able to start another load if that had been the case, and there were still pillow shams to fold and the washer was slowing down from its final spin cycle...

I woke up, feeling a little bit frazzled. I snuggled the cats for a bit, worried for a few minutes that I might still have a wet load in the washer, eventually decided that was unlikely for a Thursday night, so soon fell back to sleep.

Where I started folding laundry again. This time I was taking socks out of the laundry basket, the pile on top of the washer was gone, but I didn't want to slow down because there was a load in the dryer almost done and the washer was running with yet another load. I asked myself what the rush was, the new washer takes at least twice as long to clean a load as the old washer. It may be more water efficient, but I'm not so sure it's more energy efficient (another couple of months should give me a baseline.) The dryer buzzer went off, I stopped matching socks and set the thing to air fluff for ten more minutes, which was what was left on the washer display. I figured I could match and fold every sock I own in that amount of time.

I would be wrong about that, at least in the dream. The basket never seemed to get empty, finally I decided, as the dryer buzzed and the washer dinged, to just dump the socks in the sock drawers without matching them up. I could do that in the mornings when I needed to get dressed.

I woke up, relieved that the dream had concluded with a clever decision (which I admit to occasionally giving in to when pressed for time.)

After some more cat hugs, I fell back to sleep, only to find myself back out at my full dryer and piles of shirts to fold or hang. I immediately realized I was dreaming and the outer me asked, "what the hell is going on here?"

The me in the dream answered, "Laundry, stupid. What the frick is wrong with your brain?"

I still haven't gone out into the garage to see if I left a load of unfolded laundry in the dryer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home