.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Now We've Climbed Up Here, Did You Have a Plan to Get Us Down?

        I dreamed I was rock climbing with my brother, and for some reason I had the minicomputer were testing at work. Its padded cover was a little bit dirty from the climb, but I was showing it to my brother as we rested just below the overhang of the summit.

        Whyd you bring that along?

        Were supposed to be testing it. Its ruggedized, so I figured this would be a good test. I opened up the system and got a wireless internet connection, brought up the topo map of the mountain we were on. Thats where we are now.

        Look out! My brother ducked back down under the overhang.

        I looked up to see several fist sized chunks of rock and their smaller attendant gravel rolling towards me. As they left the ledge and became silhouetted against the sky I put the laptop in front of my face. The stones bounced off the rubberized case.

        Well, so much for that test.

        I turned the computer screen so my brother could see it. Not a problem.

        Wow. I wish theyd made this when my boys were still in school.

        Im pretty much sold, too.

        We planned out our final pull and managed to struggle over the ledge and up onto the sedan sized chunk of rock that passed for the peak of this mountain. Even though I dont usually get vertigo, I found it difficult to bring myself to stand up and walk to the edge. The crumbling rocks that had rained down on us earlier had something to do with it.

        Quite the view. Made the climb worth it, didnt it. I pulled out the computer and used its web camera to take shots and update my blog.

        Very nice. Now that weve climbed up here, did you have a plan for getting us down?

        Pretty much climb back the way we came.

        Isnt there an easier route?

        I forced myself to walk the perimeter of our stone perch, evaluating other possible routes.

        Only if you can fly, I said. The place was pretty much a straight up mesa with lots of overhangs in every direction except that which we came from.

        Cripes, D, were nearly fifty, what made you think we could climb this both ways?

        Itll be easier going down. We can slide down some of the slopes, the ones where theres a flat spot to catch us.

        Ns gonna be pissed if were late for dinner.

        Lets call and let her know to take her time.

        Thatll work from out here?

        I pointed across the canyon at a cell phone antenna on a nearby mesa.

        Why didnt we climb that one, they have a ladder all the way down.

        I didnt say anything, but Id actually thought we were climbing that mesa.

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home