.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Race to the Ball Game

       I dreamed I had a rice rocket, electric, though. It was shiny, whiney and fast! I was following some friends out to PetCo Park for a ball game. The driver of the car was someone I haven't seen in over 20 years. We left from the parking lot of the old High School. (Before it's current renovations, apparently.)
       R was a rocket jockey in some previous life. I don't think she drives without putting her foot to the floor - on either pedal. She is motion sickness on wheels when she is in traffic. (Two foot driver in an automatic transmission car.) Once we got to the freeway, she hit a clear patch of road and took off like a shot.
       The phone rang, I picked up on my helmet headset, "Voice command, answer."
       "Aren't you going to keep up with us?"
       "I know where you're going. I'll be right behind you, unless the Highway Patrol gets you first."
       "I haven't had a ticket in two weeks."
       "Right. See you there."
       I saw her vehicle's brake lights come on about a half mile ahead of me, could see the smoke from her tires. R's phone disconnected from mine. She cut over and accelerated about thirty yards and slammed on the brakes again. Apparently there was traffic up ahead. I caught up with her, then when we slowed to around fifteen MPH I started cutting the lanes to get by the problem.
       I was free of the clog and a couple of miles down the road when R passed me again. One of her passengers mouthed "Help me," out the side window as they passed me. I had a spare helmet on the back of the bike, so I indicated it.
       "Thank you!" she mouthed back as they passed another vehicle.
       When I got to the park, I realized that the motorcycle parking was in a completely different place than the regular parking. (Not IRL, just for this dream.) There was even a nearby ticket booth. I realized, as I got up to the front of the line, that I had no Idea where the rest of the party planned on sitting, in the cheap seats along the left field line was all I knew. I told that to the ticket person and she started showing me all sorts of options for ticket packages. I couldn't seem to convince her to just sell me one ticket, to this game. I finally had a bright idea.
       "Give me your phone number and I'll call you after the game for details on the various ticket packages."
       Oddly, that shut her up, my goofy plans almost never work, and she sold me a ticket for the game. I could see the cafeteria area behind her, and thought that would be a good place to watch the game from, and it was along the left field line. Interesting layout for a ball park, I thought. I made my way in through a maze of turnstyles and X-ray machines. My phone rang.
       "I'm in the left field cafeteria."
       "We got stopped so we're running a bit late, we're just in line for tickets. R can drive sane if there's a cop right behind her."
       "No line at the gate by motorcycle parking. I'll wait here if you want to come over.
       "No, we're almost at the front, save us a table near the wall."
       "OK, I have one," I put my helmet down in the middle of the table and took a chair from a table with only three people at it. "We're the fifth table in, looking right down the line."
       "See you in a bit... Hey just sell us tickets to this game, will you. Sorry, gotta go, see you in a bit."
       She hung up the phone as I said "good-bye."
       I loved the tables overlooking the park, sure, we were a few yards further back, but we were in the shade and actually had a little more elbow room. I could only imagine what this deck would look like during a big sold out game. The chairs would all be piled out against the wall or even up on the tables. It would certainly be an interesting security challenge. I ordered 5 waters and a pitcher of beer to start us off with.
       The pre-game announcements began and I settled in to wait for my friends.
       It was then that I noticed that it was daytime in the park, while it had been twilight when we left the parking lot of the school. I leaned out, thinking it was just the brightness of the park's lights, but no, the sky was blue with little fluffy white whisps left over from the marine layer still hanging around the top of the structure.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home