.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Convolutions

        My Dreams were convoluted last night, starting and stopping in several different threads. I would start a plot line, something to do with the cats all crowded into my car, to suddenly find myself sitting in an armored vehicle that was sliding sideways down a muddy embankment. There would be some sort of water event, and then, suddenly, I would be back inside Little Red with T-Rex and Little John competing for space under my feet. 

        People kept asking me questions about the new Harry Potter novel, and I had to explain to them, each caller, that I wasnt involved with that. Our shared world novels had nothing to do with Rowlingss Harry Potter stories, and in fact there werent even any magic or psychic powers in them at all. A caller was indignant and wanted to know why anyone would want to read something so far fetched. And wizards and house elves and Hogwarts School of Magic isnt far fetched?

        Magic is real, man.

        Then think of this as speculative fiction where magic isnt real.

        But that would be just like normal.

        Ah, yeah. I could tell I wouldnt be winning this debate. We just have cool science, and people who believe magic is real, and people who try to convince others that magic is real.

        And space aliens?

        Yes, there are aliens.

        So, do they invade, or something.

        Only our imaginations, you see, they live far away in space and time, too far to visit us, but were receiving their transmissions.

        But theyre trying to take over, right.

        No, the messages are 210 years old, Our response to what were hearing and seeing wont reach them for another 210 years. Its more of a difficult cultural shift for some people.

        So youre not basing this on any of the races that are visiting us now?

        Um, no. Wed like to think this is all original works.

        There was a flying thing going on, and knights in armor (The wearable kind as opposed to the drivable kind). I was being chased at one point by squeaking dinosaur like things, and had to stop periodically to summon up a whirlwind, which picked up all sorts of sharp debris and spun it around in the area in front of me. The squeaking dinosaurs would be held back for a couple of minutes and I would be able to get ahead of them.

        As I was waking up this morning my brain was trying to make recognizable plot lines out of all the events and images. The slender mass above is all I could come up with. There were several evocative images, just no real context for them.

        What are squeaking dinosaurs supposed to be?

        We had an RPG session Saturday, so the knights and magic stuff probably came from that experience. But why would I ever try to put 10 cats into Little Red? There wasnt even a dream context for that one, no disaster, no road trip, the house was right there because the car was in the driveway when the dream started.

        Oh, I was on a radio show, and there were photographers shooting pictures of the show for the podcast. I kept telling them we needed to call my co-author and get him in on the interview, but apparently they only had two lines, and both had callers on them waiting to ask questions. This may or may not have been related to the Harry Potter incident earlier.

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home