.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Pit Fight

       I dreamed a night of random seeming images, but one really stuck with me. I was in a shallow crater blasted out of a concrete floor in a sort of indoor arena, something like a gymnasium or basketball court. In the bottom of the crater was a thirty or forty foot high brick column that ended just below the rafters of the place, and possible freedom.
       There were growls and hissing from under the edge of the concrete floor, and I could sense creatures coming into the bowl of the crater from beneath the blasted edges. I had to move, and soon.
       There was also a tower of boxes and barrels, easier to climb, I hopped up on them, and realized right away that it was a trap. Both the increased speed of the slithering, and the cheers of the crowd gave that away. As whatever had filled the bowl crashed into the wobbly pile, I leapt to the brick tower, knowing that I was going to be a bit behind in the race to the top because of my first miscalculation. I kicked off my shoes as I crossed to the pillar.
       There were chomps and tearing of the shoes, lots of cheers for the action, mixed with some boos and catcalls from the spectators that realized I'd just bought myself more time. Soon they would be disappointed in another way. My legs didn't end in feet.
       I had two opposable thumbs on my lower hands. I could easily grasp the corners of the brick tower and nearly ran up on all fours. Stopping to pull the loose bricks (boy was this game rigged) I found every so often and then pelt the heads of the climbing fur-covered feather-headed snake-demons chasing after me. I resolved to slow down and take out as many of them as I could before making my own escape. The angry crowd was working themselves up to come after me themselves, but I had planned a distraction for them.
       I made sure I always waited to knock the demons down when they were on the narrow side of the pillar closest to the edge of the crater. Soon the pile of bodies allowed the fallen ones to survive, and more to the point, gave them a ladder of fallen comrades with which to make their way out of the bowl and into the crowd.
       When the first one did so, the crowd broke and ran. I knew I was going to be able to escape in the confusion.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home