.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Musical, Picnic, Insect Panic

       The first dream I have any recollection of was a musical. The subject is now gone, the lyrics forgotten, but I still have the impression of people suddenly jumping up onto tables at the book store and singing and dancing. I know there were police involved and girl scouts gift wrapping books. Not much else remains.

       In the next dream, that I remember, I was at a picnic with several generations of family. There were three flattish areas on the side of the hill the house was on. The young kids were running up and down the hillside, mostly at the flat area at the bottom of the hill near the driveway. They were flying paper airplanes off the hill and chasing them down into the yard.
       The moms and dads of the kids were up on the nearly flat spot on top of the hill, they'd taken their lunches and walked up to the shade of the trees where they could watch over their broods.
       The grand parents and childless aunts and uncles were on the patio behind the house. They were about two thirds of the way up the hill. They were minding the grills and sitting near the coolers under the patio covers and sun shades.
       I was out on the hillside, making paper airplanes and throwing them up in the air for the kids to chase them. One of my fellow adults asked me if it wasn't time for me to join the patio bunch. I said I'd be there in a bit, I still had a soda and a handful of chips in the crook of a tree near by, there were still a few sheets of advertisements left to make planes out of yet. The adult just shrugged, headed back to the shade of the patio.
       "He's not done playing with the kids yet!" he called out to N.
       "OK, I've got more soda for you when you're ready!" She yelled over to me.
       "Thanks!"
       "I'll get it for you, Uncle!" One of my nephews started racing up the hill, soon joined by several other kids.
       The adults looked panicked. I laughed when they brought back sodas for everyone, but forgot mine. "When do you think we'll have to stay at the old people's table?"
       "Not until you're ready for it."
       "Why aren't you at the old people's table?" one of the younger nephews asked, his older sister elbowed him.
       "Ease up, girlie girl, that's a fair question. Sometimes I do sit over there, sometimes I sit up with your parents, sometimes playing with you guys is fun, I'll get tired long before you do, though, so don't expect this to last all day."
       "Unless we're in the lake!"
       "Well, that's the lake, my belly fat lets me float all day long, you know."
       I shook my belly fat in both hands to a chorus of "gross" and "Ewww!" and general laughter. Soon waters and sodas and lemonades were all consumed and the pile of paper airplanes was large at my feet. I started tossing them up in the air for them to chase again.

       The last dream I remember before waking up was much scarier, the feeling of hundreds of small insects, like ants, crawling all over the carpet and sliding glass door to the bedroom. The insects weren't normal insects, and they were making a lot of noise. I didn't want to sit up in bed and see them, so I just lay still sensing them moving around and, well, chanting, I think. I tried to call for help, but couldn't. I felt them start climbing up the bedspread at the foot of the bed, their scouts running across my toes. I started sweating and shivering at the same time. I finally did wake up and sat up, just managing to stifle a yelp. Thank goodness we didn't have one of our seasonal ant swarms going. (At least, not in the house.)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home