.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Midnight Train, or, Bus Perhaps

I was on a train with Dan from work and the Director from MC and a bunch of student theater technician interns. We were headed to a festival somewhere North. As night fell everyone pulled out blankets and pillows and reclined their seats for some shuteye. I stayed awake and therefore got to see the transformation of the train car into a bus. We stopped at an old warehouse outside a delapidated theater. The watchman told us the place was going to be torn down, so we could take whatever we needed. There were several lighting and sound instruments so Dan and I loaded them on the bus. We then woke the interns and everyone started going through the old sets looking for ideas and for hardware to salvage. Much of the scenery was wire and mache, much was not usable in the least. Dan kept pulling out this 5 foot long twisted 2 by 4 and putting it in the keep pile, I kept moving it to the firewood pile. Finally I asked him what he wanted it for. "It just looks cool" was his response.
"OK, perhaps we could use it as a propellor." I put it back in the keep pile. Eventually we loaded up the luggage areas under the bus with costumes and boxes of drawer pulls, switches, casters and hinges, stage brace cleats and curtain trucks. We continued North.

ad astra per technica
FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home