.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Chicken Ranch Soccer and Sick House Sitter

Soccer Game at the Chicken Ranch

The chicken ranch had been turned into a day camp of sorts. There was still a set of very cooplike outbuildings and the large chicken warehouse had been turned into an indoor soccer field. I was on the blue team and didn't really recognize any of the players from the white team, the referees or even most of my teammates. After running around like chi...ildren. I realized there didn't seem to be much point in the game, there were more soccer balls on the field than team members, different colored balls scored different points (and different for each team as well, so you could focus on blocking your opponent's high scoring color while trying to score more with yours.) After the whistle blew for the first period we grouped up on the sidelines, and I realized that I was supposed to be the team captain/coach. What I really know about soccer would be shorter than this entry. We democratized the team at that point and held a referendum. We decided to all switch positions and each of us would focus on one ball color. Meaning that two of us had to keep track of two balls each. There were only five players on the field plus the goalie. I think we had only 7 players on our team. I subbed out about 5 minutes into the second period, mostly because I wanted to go look at the old style chicken coops.

JB sick at Mom and Dad's Couldn't make 911 work.

One of my former students was house sitting for my parents who'd gone to be with Dawn and her family for some unknown crisis. Nan got a call at work and came to get me. We went to my parent's house, rang the bell, no answer, so we let ourselves in. Fluffy was very thin but eager to see us (not a normal state of affairs.) Her water bowl was empty so I filled it and she almost dove into it. I pulled out the food and she raced over to that as well. From the guest room I heard Nan call me.
I found her trying to prop up a very weak and dehydrated JB. She wasn't feverish, but I could tell she was very nearly gone. He skill was pale and dried taught over her face. Her hair was dull and brittle looking. She wasn't able to talk anything but gibberish. I sent Nan for some water and grabbed the portable phone from the bedstead. It was dead. I went to the master bedroom and dialed 911 from the handset, it wouldn't go through. I tried the 9 prefix, I tried 0 for operator. Nan got JB to sip some water. I went out to the old dial wall phone in the dining room and it wouldn't dial out properly. The 9 wouldn't roll back smoothly enough to be counted correctly. I did finally get the operator on that phone. She couldn't call 911 for us and hung up before I could ask her to connect us to the paramedics. I was waiting for the operator when I woke. As I woke I realized I could call information and have them connect me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home