.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Snowplowing the Unnamed City

I was in Antarctica, operating a big snowcat with a snowplow, more of a snow chewer and blower. I had just finished clearing the camp and runway. Still running at full tilt, I suddenly saw a city in the distance. I drove out to it and began clearing the streets. My followup crew kept yelling at me to go back but I was compelled to finish what I had begun. There were massive stone structures that sometimes bridged the road I was clearing. Many of the buildings did seem empty and sad, but more than a few had light in the upper windows and occasionally I saw movement. These buildings have been buried almost completely by the snow. I ignored the radio messages an plowed on for several hours, until the fuel in the snowcat ran out, and I began to freeze despite my heavy gear. As I got colder and colder the beings began to move about the city, eyeing the large yellow tractor suspiciously. Eventually they began to move towards me, smaller ones, children I suppose racing through the streets, gathering the piled snow in their middle arms and tossing it around. I heard the Whup! Whup! of a helicopter and the creatures drew back as the cat was lifted into the air. I could see the five mile by three mile semicircle of oddly web-like streets from the air. I could hear the adults and children below scraping their legs and vibrating their wings in what could only have been applause. A strange, disquieting, buzzing applause, but applause none-the-less. As I spun around under the helicopter I struggled to look back, but there was only the web of streets in the snow, and a few shadowed shapes of building foundations and low walls. Fading shapes flying along behind, that I know weren't just the ice falling off of the snowcat.

Can you tell that I have been reading HP Lovecraft inspired fiction lately? Oh, and that Nan or the cats stole all the covers again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home