.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Cecil the Spacesick Satellite, CIB

This is the first time I've dreamed of Cecil, the '69 Plymouth Satellite since we sold it last week. It is the first time I have dreamed of it where I wasn't driving it. Instead of its new owner, though, it was being driven by my brother, Dave.
He had managed to get it running with my help and while he was test driving it around the mountain he picked up a hitchhiker who wanted to come to the house and meet the ghosts. She was Claudia Black, but since Dave doesn't really follow science fiction he didn't recognize her. She claimed her accent was because she was from Moline, Kansas.
"Um, right" I said. I could tell that she could tell that I recognized her. I called T-Rex to take her up to the house.
"Oh! you even have a black cat, well mostly. This should be fun."
T-Rex looked at me with a "do I have to" look and I just nodded. He cooed at her and started up to the house.
We were getting ready for a costume party, so I had filled the back of the Insight and Nan came out of the house. "Is that Claudia Black?"
"I think so."
We took off to the party, asking Dave to take her where she needed before heading home.
We arrived at times, and shortly after we got everything delivered for the party Cecil came screeching around the corner. Dave zoomed by the party. I jumped out to the curb and shouted and waved. He spotted me and turned around. I guided him in like guiding in an aircraft. Claudia jumped out of the passenger side, shaking. Shouting.
"They're real! They're real, how'd you do that!"
"T-Rex took you into the red and black velvet hall, didn't he? What did you do to piss him off?"
That brought her up short. "I might have called him stupid," she admitted.
I could tell it was more than that. "You swore at him, didn't you? He hates that. Oh, well, no harm done, I don't think any of them followed you."
"What!" she squealed and ducked under my arm, looking around for signs of ghosts.
Dave laughed and waved good bye. Cecil rumbled to life and accelerated away.
Nan waved from the front of Mike's house then made her way down to us.
"What's going on here?" she asked, but smiling.
"Lets see if we can get Claudia a drink, she's had a tour of the hall."
"How do you know my name?"
"Accent, met you at Comic-Con in San Diego, watching you on television for years." I didn't add that this was my dream....
"Oh, I didn't realize these worlds connected."


Just a note, the haunted house is a reccuring location, I inherited it when I was in my mid twenties, I'm not certain who, but suspect from my Uncle Ben. It has many residents who are non corporeal, most of whom are harmless or even helpful, the upstairs maid for example. There are a few spirits who can be dangerous if you don't belong there, and there is one hallway that has a very angry spirit that doesn't like women at all. It is confined to a little
used hallway that is decorated in black and red velvet wallpaper with a mirror on one end of the hall and a half dozen gas lamps on each wall. There is a set of double doors opposite the mirrors that leads into what is now the main hallway of the house. All but two of the six rooms that originally fed off this hallway have doors opening into other parts of the house. One of those two rooms is my favorite study, middle door on the left. The other, opposite the study, is full of very creepy stuff collected from around the dreamscape by previous residents. I don't even like to go in there, and rarely alone. Despite the fact that I have had all of the furniture and anything loose removed from the hall, the spirit in that room always seems to find something I have missed to throw at women who enter alone. Nan doesn't enter this hallway anymore, even if I'm there with her. I suspect that if you close the double doors while you are in the hallway you can walk through the mirror and access another 6 rooms. I haven't tried that yet.


After feeding Cats and Fish at 5:30 then returning to bed. I dreamed that
T-Rex and I were hunting down a person who'd just knocked out a woman at a very western looking town fair. T-Rex tracked him into a shop. I let out a mechanical spider (about 18 inches around with a tennis ball sized body.) I heard a crash from inside the machine shop. I jumped in just in time to see a vampire looking fellow, very large, like the smith in Diablo II, smash the
spider. I took out another one when T-Rex leapt at the monster, showing his Special agent ID badge on his collar. The Vampire laughed, until T-Rex clawed his way up to the creature's neck and lashed him with a tranquilizer claw.
The creature tossed T-Rex towards a pile of junk. My spider mech stretched itself across the junk and caught T-Rex, tangling its legs as they fell to the ground with a soft plop. The creature staggered around.
I had a large claw hammer that I used to block its blows. There was a can of gasoline on the counter next to the creature where he collapsed. I opened it up with the claw hammer fully intending to douse the creature and light it on fire. I heard commotion from outside. T-Rex was un-tangling the spider mech's legs for it and so I ran outside to see what was going on.
The obviously undead townspeople were making their way towards where there was a woman on the ground and a female sheriff's deputy. "I think she's dead."
I held up my badge as she aimed her weapon at me. The woman on the ground opened her eyes and looked around terrified. "Special Agents, we need to get her out of here, now!" T-Rex was Meow-ow-owing for all he was worth. I think he'd had his fill of the undead. The deputy aimed her gun at T-Rex, I thought at first but realized he was running three legged holding out his badge. The spider mech. "The spider is mine, too, it will cover our escape." I picked up the blonde victom, and put her in a firman's carry. "Let's get going." I whistled at the same time as the deputy.
The deputy's horse came whinnying around the corner. "At least mine is
obedient."
There was a loud rumble, and a pair of giant spider legs arced over the stables, one had a lift basket descending from it. "Mine isn't exactly a horse."
"Oh, shi...."
"Quickly, deputy" I said as I put the woman in the basket and strapped her in. I had a bad feeling about her still open and staring at nothing expression, but I wasn't quite ready to give up on her. We'd know at day-break.
T-Rex had already raced up the steps formed into the other spider leg. My small mechanical spider was racing back and forthe across the street paying out silk cord. The first line of townspeople tripped and went down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home