.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Hammering Sets Virtual and Real

My dreams were trying to make up for the last several days of only having a few hours of sleep each night. Was hammering together a set, then painting it all chroma key green. After that I was putting together small folding sets for a Theater Festival I was acting as a chaperone and judge at. It started raining and we had to move our location.

The new location was near the staging area for horse drawn carriages. There was one eight horse team that was towing a trolly car, the trolly was full when the horses took off and raced around the corner. They took off so fast a couple of people fell off. When the Red and Bronze trolly hit the corner it tilted onto only two wheels, several people jumped off the side closest to the ground and others were leaning out the windows on the other side. The trolly slammed to the ground with a bang and several of the riders who were hiking out fell off. The noise, however frightened another couple of teams of horses. One team of four white horses bolted towards our encampment. I grabbed a couple of the kids who weren't able to see the danger, and leapt into the air as the horses and the carriage tumbled right through where we'd been. As we drifted back down to the ground the kids asked how'd you do that.
"Special Effects" was my answer.

Was back at work, putting the finishing touches on the virtual sets that would take the place of the folding sets I'd put together earlier. I showed the camera crew how to spike the camera so if shooting went more than one day we could remount the camera in the same locations to get the images. That would require less monkeying around with the virtual set in post production. the team wanted to do a moving camera shot, so I showed them how to move the camera in the 3d rendering program, and explained that they would have to match the move frame by frame for the final project, as we'd no way to program the camera move. I came up with an idea to put white dots on the set to use a reference points, so we did that.

During the last few days I have noticed that my dreams were far noisier than my reality. Upon waking the musical background cuts out and the dream noises also fade away. On more than one occasion I have woken up feeling releived that there was peace and quiet. At least until the Miranda cat started howling for breakfast.

ad astra per technica
FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home