.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Concerts, Trench coats, and a Poltergeist.

Alan and I were at a concert. It was at a semi-outdoor arena. The place was covered  to about 2/3rds up into the house from the stage, completely walled in with 15' high 2' wide windows at the end of each semicircular row of seats. We were about half way up, the first row in what would have been a balcony, if there'd been seats under us. The seat next to me was broken, the metal rivets had pulled through the chair seat and back in several places.

We were watching a musical performer who was using a variety of household and common items to perform musical numbers. Saws, pots and pans, flatware, Tractor tires and exhaust pipes. At the end of the second set stagehands came to clear the stage. A single white cube rose from a Down center trap. The performer opened the cube. We could see he was struggling with it. He was very tired. The front and top of the cube folded out onto the apron revealing a framing square hanging crookedly from a wire suspended on the top edges of the box. He fiddled with it a bit, tested the microphone and wired connections, it wasn't working properly. He stepped forward and apologized. Instead of a 15 minute break he was calling for a 45 minute intermission due to technical difficulties. He said he would ask the theatre to give a refund for the second half of the show for anyone who would be out too late because of the delay.

Alan and I got up to go get some refreshments. Alan put on his black trench coat and fedora. "Hah! I knew you would bring those," I said digging in my bag, "take that!" I pulled out my beige trench coat, and a straw boater. "I couldn't find a fedora I liked." I was having trouble pulling up the collar Sam spade style because my hair was in the way. We made our way out past the crowd into a local restaurant.

As Alan zoomed over to the dessert case, trench coat flapping, I suddenly found myself walking on my hands. The trench coat was suddenly slick like vinyl, water was rushing up off the pavement. "Alan, check this out!" He looked at me with a concerned look. I was trying to grab on to things to keep myself on the ground as now I seemed to be headed for the ceiling. I reached for Alan, but he was too far away to get to me before I fell up to the ceiling. Only the water and myself seemed to be affected. I was able to jump down (though it felt like jumping up) and could just barely touch the floor. "OK, this is weird."

"How are you doing that?"
"Um, I think…" now I paused, because, in seeing my hands earlier, I knew it was a dream and I was about to say so. Then I realized I wanted to know what my dream self would have said so relaxed and let the dream continue. "Either I'm possessed or there's a really strong poltergeist around."

People began to come over to see what was happening, some of them had digital cameras and began to take pictures. I smiled and waved. Alan started digging through his pockets and found his camera.

"Thanks, how about helping me down, here?"

"Oh, yeah, ok." Alan grabbed a chair and stood up on it (The ceiling was about 18 feet up) and reached for me.

I grabbed his arm and he pulled me down. We moved out to where the crowd was a little thinner, "Thanks for the ride." I said to whatever was causing me to float, "Let me know if I can do anything for you some time." When I was down around the top of the chair I was able to twist my feet around, as soon as they touched the ground I felt gravity return to normal and was able to stand up. Everyone burst into applause. My boater floated up to the ceiling. I missed grabbing it. I think I was supposed to be annoyed, but somehow it was funny (and I really wanted a fedora rather than the boater anyway….) I laughed along with the crowd.

The person behind the counter came out with ice-cream bars for Alan and I, "Sorry about that, it hasn't ever been so rude, or so, um public, before."

"I guess I just attract that sort of thing." I looked up to where my hat was perched under a hanging lamp, as though it was wearing it. "Seriously, if there's anything I can do, let me know." I dug around for a business card and gave one to the counter person, then with only a seconds hesitation I spiraled one up towards the ceiling. The hat floated down and the card zoomed up to the ceiling and vanished.

There were startled "Ah's" from the crowd and a couple of people fainted and several bolted for the doors. Several others crowded around wanting to know how I did that, or if I could do it again, or if I could come to their house and contact their dead mother. I tried to get out as gracefully as possible, but the crowd became more persistent.

Alan buttoned the top button of his over coat, pulled his hat down and shouted. The crowd parted for him and we headed back to the theatre with a small knot of people following a small distance behind.

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" I asked.

I thought, he really would enjoy this, too bad this was my dream, not his.

Alan just grinned his it doesn't get any better than this grin.

 I put my hand in my pocket and found a wad of paper. I pulled it out, it was my business card, crumpled, but with something written on the back.

Princess Tiger Lilly (a real world cat) managed to nuzzle me awake before I could make out what it said.

Ad astral per technical,
FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home