.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Wednesday, August 06, 2014

All that Remains is the Drive

The cats and I managed to find ourselves in a mountain cabin, dirt floor covered in bamboo mats on the ground level, wood floors in the "u" shaped loft. The front yard was a rolling slope with a stream across the front and east side. A tall bamboo fence around the largish garden out back, where there was a spring that filled a huge stone basin and then ran off in a trickle past the cabin, under the fence and across the property to join in a larger stream a couple of hundred yards away. The water was quite warm, warm enough to not be comfortable in the summer. Warm enough that it powered a small generator with a heat engine. I loved the place, and the cats seemed content, but I missed my friends so packed s few things, left the auto-feeder fully loaded for a week, checked the wind and solar generators, and then headed down the hill in my electric four wheel drive.

The house had only an inflatable bed and a couple of chargers for my phone and tablet. A couple of books and an LCD clock sat on the short book case next to my bag of clothing. All the appliances were off and their doors open so they wouldn't become moldy. I checked the attic and all the cabinets one last time to make sure I hadn't left anything else behind, in the dream I remembered doing that nearly every weekend for the last couple of months and didn't regret that I wouldn't have to worry about it soon.

The house had finally sold. I signed the papers, and put one final load of stuff in the back of the car. I stopped at Lupita's for lunch. It seems everyone was getting ready to move. We calculated that the restaurant was going to remain centrally located to all of us, just a little further away. I regretted that I wouldn't be able to walk here any more, but I promised that I'd still roll down the hill to visit, and run games if anyone wanted, and they were welcome to come camp at my home and use the hot spring any time. There was high speed Internet connection and two RV hookups from when I first started building the "cabin."

We said our goodbyes. I walked back to the house one last time. I handed the keys to the Realtor. "Are you going to miss your home?" she asked.

"I'm headed there now, all that remains is the drive."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home