.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Monday, August 01, 2011

Dream City Afterlife

A Baseball player comes off the field and we are together next to one another on the trolley. Next thing we know the trolley is being tossed into the air and out into the harbor. Somehow we survive but not as ourselves. The ball player wants to go back to the stadium and get back in the game.

When we get there no one knows who he is. No one recognizes me, either, but that hardly matters as I didn't expect them to. I knew I wasn't the same person as I started out to be. I managed to talk the manager into allowing us to come in as volunteer workers.

I got to work one of the Fifties style TV cameras, making a nice rack focus shot down the right field bleachers where the player's wives were all seated. The coaches all seemed to think that was very motivating, so asked the stadium to hire me for their next scrimmage. Istarted talking up the hitting abilities of the former ball player and they decided to humor me by letting him try to hit a few balls.

He did, right out of the park. The coach went out to the mound to tell his pitcher to stop screwing around. I could see that the pitcher was very frustrated, and was trying to throw difficult pitches. Finally the coach had to agree that my friend could hit.

We left the park, each with a season contract. We stood at the trolley station, checking our pockets for some indication of where we lived. We both had money, but no ID of any sort. I doubted that the me of this world, if there was one, would take us in.

As we talked about what we were going to do to get out of this mess, Death, or perhaps the Devil showed up. He seemed upset that we were making the best of what he said was supposed to be a horrible afterlife. I then found myself strapped into a harness dangling from a zip line to the far side of the harbor. The ball player was dodging a giant white potato, actually splitting himself in two to avoid getting squished.

The potato split into two and so the process continued until they looked like a giant plate of corned beef hash. I grabbed Death, or whatever he was, and we rolled out over the harbor back towards the stadium. He couldn't focus on smashing the ball player, as I was threatening to drop him. The ball player managed to pull himself together, smashing the now smaller potato fragments.

"Okay! Now you go back!"

I found myself rolling onto the landing platform, only the zip line was completely in the stadium. I was me again, and because I'd volunteered to be the demonstrator for the zip line, I had missed the trolley that had flipped into the ocean.

I don't know if the ball player survived, or was still playing ball on the Dream City Afterlife team.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home