.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Plains, Studio, Falling Damage, Forest Flowers

              The first dream of the evening has all ready grown dim in my memory, even the title I thought of to recall it by has vanished. All I remember is low rolling hills covered in a golden shimmering coat of grain, and silvery streams running between them. I was with a group of people and we were mounted on some sort of animal or machine that soared a few feet off the ground at a speed just a little bit faster than a run. We were laughing and chatting, excited to be on our way somewhere for some special event.

              I dreamed I had converted the entire upstairs room into a library/studio. The photo backdrops were on rollers in front of the book cases, for when I didn't want to use the book cases as a backdrop. I had a couple of large digital cameras and a rather wide array of lights and reflectors. My desk was up there as well, the entire surface having been replaced by a large bright touch screen. One wall had several framed photos, and a couple of painting from those photos. LA had done those, I think. There were also a few framed magazine covers as well. I had opened up a skylight in the roof and was having someone use a crane to lower a bunch of potted plants into the studio. A couple of models were walking around in robes, waiting for the clothing lines to go away.

              I dreamed I was playing with a large group of people in a very elaborate setting. There were multiple platforms and the 25 or so of us were fighting the main boss of the dungeon. I was Axelpyre, and was trying to stay out of the way and at my maximum range, as the boss was one of those who randomly charged his attackers before going back to the tanks.
              At a later point in the fight, he became invulnerable, and starts stomping random party members. The raid leader wanted everyone to distribute themselves to the various platforms around the main platform in hopes of keeping him on the main platform with the tanks. I noticed that when he attacked someone who was standing on one of the flower designs, the damage was shared with whoever else was on the flower designs. I asked everyone to jump back down to the main platform and stand on one of the flowers. I jumped first. I managed to pull him off the platform. He fell and I landed, by blinking at the last second. I was hurt, but alive. I started bandaging myself. The rest of the raid hurried to position themselves before the boss could climb his way back up to us. When he got to us he was at about 10%, apparently his immunity didn't apply to falling damage.
              “Make sure to add that to your recount posting,” I whispered the Raid Assistant.
              She sent back a “:P”
              I popped all my defensive buffs and the boss jumped me. Everyone took about 400 damage.
              “It's working, Oh! My gods! It's working!” the raid leader shouted.
              “I wonder if this works even after this phase?” a priest added. (It didn't.)
              The boss attacked a half dozen more times, each time the damage was spread across the raid.
              Soon the boss went back to his normal attack, targeting me. Apparently, the fall damage was on my aggro account. “See you in a few!” I shouted and popped my invisibility. When I reappeared, he was at about two percent and I managed to only get off a half dozen casts before we had him down completely.
              “Maybe we should try that again before Blizzard fixes it.”
              “Are you kidding, that was sheer luck,” I said.
              “Come on, let's at least try it!” came a chorus of voices.
              “OK, Tuesday night, we're on again.”
              I opened a portal for everyone and as they ducked out they each whispered their congratulations, and condolences; the boss hadn't dropped any caster loot.
              About ten minutes into making repairs and putting stuff on the auction house I began to get whispers and invites from people I didn't even know. Apparently one of the raid members had recorded the whole thing, and had already posted it on line.

              In another dream, I found myself walking alone in the forest, it was spring, and the path was covered with tiny green shoots. Vines, covered with flowers, honeysuckle and roses, mostly, crawled along the path and veered left and right into the forest itself. I could make out the remains of a low stone wall on either side of the path, the walls were completely knocked down in some places, in other places there were obvious drain features, and in others gateways, with the gates long rotted off their hinges. On a whim I stepped through one of the gateways and followed a much overgrown path into the forest, there was even a four inch diameter tree growing from in between the cobblestones.
              After a minor tussle with a blackberry bush, I managed to come to what had been the front lawn of a small cottage. The cottage itself was still standing, but covered from top to bottom with flowering vines. I recognized bougainvillea and honeysuckle, there were old porch posts that now looked like tree trunks, they supported a dizzying amount of wisteria. The effect was like looking at a faerie castle instead of an abandoned cottage.
              I walked around the cottage, noting that the windows had been shuttered when it was abandoned, as though someone thought they might be coming back to the place. I listened to the wind rustling the flowers, and found myself thinking that you could almost make out voices. I had just decided to try to make my way inside when the phone rang.
             

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home