.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Red Cat Shuffle, Back to School

       I dreamed this morning, after waking up and feeding the cats, that I was sitting the the back yard, enjoying the newly enclosed patio, sipping a cool lemonade, and petting one of the big red tabby boys. Little John was rubbing around my feet telling me one of his rather long kitten tales. Soon he was on my lap, gnawing on my beard. I got him settled down, and Teddy had been replaced by Ginger Muffin across m legs. I scritched her under the chin and told her what a good girl she was when Little John jumped down, only to be replaced by Marvin. This continued for a very long time. I would read a little, and when I looked down, there would be a different set of cats only lap and draped across my legs.

       I found myself back in school. Everyone had laptop or tablet PCs. Mine was a little bit different, and caused a little bit of a stir. It was a roll out computer. The screen was a 12 inch wide screen, and the keyboard was a full sized keyboard that looked like it was just printed on a thick piece of fabric. I had a bit of a crowd gathered around to look at it, much to the instructor's dismay. I explained that it was a prototype we were getting ready to market, if it passed its field tests.
       Several of my fellow students asked if they could be beta testers. I thought about that, and decided that might not be a bad idea. I showed them how the thick battery compartment only held 4 AA batteries and supported the screen with a pair of antenna like spars. "Completely mechanical and easily replaced if you bend or break one."
        I unplugged my MPEG recorder from the fire wire connector and folded in the screen and number pad. The whole computer then folded, or rolled into a bundle no more than three and one-half inches wide by two inches tall by eleven inches high. It looked like a soft leather umbrella case, except for the fire-wire and USB connectors on each end. The whole thing couldn't have weighed more than a pound and a half. Most of that was the batteries and display frame.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home