.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Trans-Dimensional Portals

        Though much of the dream has now faded, I do remember the excitement of explaining my clever telegraph to my disbelieving female companions.

        And it was hard to believe, because part of the telegraph was a bolt tied to a string that was wedged in a door that didnt currently exist. I explained as carefully as I could that the door was in another dimension, a parallel universe much like this one, but one where the flaming skeleton hadnt exploded in the room, taking the door with it.

        My companions nodded at me, and then shared a look that told me they were completely unconvinced of my story, and by extension, my sanity. I carefully walked them along the path of the string, and pointed out that the string rose into the air and into the doorway, where it was firmly stuck in the air.

        Because I stuck a bolt on the end of the string and closed it in the door, in the other dimension!

        Well, maybe the string is just stuck to the door jamb with a little piece of wax.

        Walk through the door and then back this way and look at it.

        The leather-clad member of our trio picked up the string and tugged gently on it. The string held, and pulled slightly as the bolt slid up and down on the other side of the door latch, in the other dimension.

        OK, I admit that is freaky. But youre a mage so you could just be doing something, a portal, may be, and you have someone on the other side holding the string up.

        No, I promise. Theres another dimension, a different realm. I connected a cup to the my end of the string and pulled it taught, listening at the cup.

        Ok, Gnome, what are you doing now?

        I pushed my long hair away from my ear and listened again, using my other hand to signal for silence. I could make out some noise from the other room. But nothing very definite, it could easily have been just the bolt turning in the door.

        Someone nearly pulled the cup out of my hands. I grabbed it and gave a tug, and then two and then three. I waited. The string moved into the center of the doorway.

        Ok, thats freaky, the leather wearing woman said. My other companion, in robes of some sort, pulled out her staff and crouched, ready to pounce. I wondered why anyone would spend nearly everything and every moment you had to learn magic, and stand there and prepare to hit something with a stick.

        There were four gentle tugs on the string. I pulled the string taught and spoke loudly into the cup. Hello, testing, one two, three, can you hear me? I wished Id tied the other end to a cup, but hadnt wanted to risk being trapped in the other dimension. I hoped there was an Elf with really good hearing or another Gnome on the other end.

        I put my ear back to the cup. I could hear noises and then Hello, its Grommet, is that you Uncle Axel?

        I whooped! It worked, thats my niece on the other end. Woo hoo! Hurray!

        I turned to my companions. Its been fun, but Im going home, now.

        Wait! How do you know thats the right home? the leather clad blonde asked.

        Good point. Better ask some more questions. Before you go jumping to where ever. My robed companion chimed in, you could be getting a worse deal than here. She smiled and winked at me.

It seems Im writing World of Warcraft fan fiction in my dreams, now.

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home