.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Diablo III and Still Forest

       I dreamed I was playing a video game. It was the isometric overhead view, and I was playing a character dressed in black and silver. My main attack seemed to be a cone of cold effect. As I played I discovered that I could either keep the cone going (and deplete my mana considerably) or I could freeze my enemies and then hit them with a large blunt weapon to shatter them. The combination attack took a little bit more effort, but was faster when facing individual opponents.
       At one point I was making my way through an underground passage when I came to a section which had false walls that gave away after I had passed them. Behind the walls were two agitated mobs. They swarmed me from all directions.
       I discovered, quite by accident, that I could create a ring of ice effect by spinning in place and casting the cone of cold. I didn't have enough mana to keep it up long enough to beat all of the enemies. I gulped a potion which began to restore my mana. All of the sudden I was in the POV mode, with the frozen ghouls all around me. I spun around again, re-freezing them all. Then I began carving a path back the way I came, hoping I hadn't missed any other false walls. I didn't quite make it out of the group when the spell wore off and I had to freeze them again.
       Back to the isometric overhead view, I kept getting hit, disrupting my spell. Fortunately I was armored enough that I wasn't taking much damage from the monsters. But I was starting to get frustrated. It looked like I was just going to be plinked to death a couple of hits at a time. Finally I managed to get the ice cone to fire, and swung it around my attackers. A couple of hammer blows later and I was back in a large room, running free. Every so often I would stop and freeze my nearest pursuers, forcing the ones behind them to go around them, and thus giving me a little more time. I ran back to the narrow hole that had been carved in the back of the cellar, there I was able to make a stand, facing only one or two enemies at a time. I could freeze them in the hallway, and crush them just before the spell wore off, allowing me time to recover enough mana to freeze the next batch.
       Rinse, Repeat. I was enjoying the game, but wished I had a greater variety of strategies to fall back on. I had nothing that would damage a large group like I'd been attacked by, I could freeze them, if I had enough time to cast, but that was it. (Ice in this game apparently did little damage, thus the need for carrying a huge sledge.)
       I was, after two dozen kills, finished, and found myself walking back to the original ambush site, enjoying the animation and graphics of the new game. There was not a single drop (smashing your enemies into ice cubes seemed to curtail that sort of thing.) I hoped there was a chest or something in the ambush area to make this trip worth it. My armor needed repair and my weapon was wearing down, both would be expensive to fix.
       I knew I was dreaming, and suddenly found it difficult to stay with the game and just play it, instead I found myself trying to figure out what I was looking at, what sort of character I was playing, and who had developed the game. The more I tried to figure out what I was looking at, the less coherent it was, until finally I was left with just barely conscious thought.

       I did fall back to sleep and had another dream just before waking. Forest, brick path, heavily over grown. It may have once been part of a park of some sort, as there was the rusted remains of a cast iron bench on one side of the brick trail. The air was thick with the smell of decay, difficult to breathe, nothing was stirring in the brush, and even the tops of the trees, with a few green leaves yet in the sun, were still. The sounds of the forest were missing, and even my own footfalls, a jolt of pain just in front of the heel with every step, barely made any noise at all. I wanted to get away from the decaying smell, but didn't really know what direction it was coming from as the air was so still. I just hoped it wasn't from me.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home