.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Monday, July 30, 2007

Comic Dream

       As one might expect after four solid days of little sleep and A LOT of comic related input, I dreamed in a multi-panel comic book form with full bleed. Especially after I was bitten by the dragon. It was a small one, so I just had a nice row of fang marks in my fore arm.
       There was some sort of ruckus in the throne room, so I raced up there, tripping over my long dark green robes on the carpeted stone stairs that lead up to the hidden panel behind a couple of suits of armor. I crashed against the panel, but it didn't open. I noticed that the hinges were on my side, so, releasing the latch I stepped down a couple of steps to swing the panel back over the stairs. I marveled that if I had to unlatch the door from where it was safe to stand to open the door over the top of the stairs, I would have had to be nine feet tall. I rushed into the throne room to find the air full of cat-sized dragons, flashing their silvery teeth and breathing little jets of fire.
       The king's guards were covering his majesty with their tall shields and trying to fend of the little dragons with their halbreds, devices that weren't really meant to be used one handed. They might have looked impressive while standing at attention next to the throne, but were not terribly practical. I took off my pointy hat and snagged one of the little dragons with it as it flew past.
       That's when I was bitten.
       I whistled a special call, and four cats leapt into the throne room from the secret passage. Their eyes glittered with excitement as they saw the small flying dragons, and the hunt was on. I watched as the first of the little flying lizards dove too close and was swatted out of the air by a leaping red Tabby. The dragon cracked against the tile floor with a resounding finality. The other flying dragons began to fly higher, out of reach, and of course, out of range for their own attacks.
       I walked to the king, stopping to check out the broken dragon, it was a small clockwork mechanism that drove the thing. "Interesting," I muttered to no one in particular. I started charging the capacitor in my staff and when one of the clockwork dragons dove to prevent me from reaching the side of the king, I zapped it with the end of my staff, it sparked noisily, and crashed at my feet. The capacitors wound up again, the whining noise drawing the attention of more of the creatures.
       The guards moved to come to my aid, but I waived them back,"Get the court out of the room and keep the king covered."
       Apparently the clockworks were programmed to attack solitary figures because they dove at me again. I intercepted the first with the end of the staff and swing it into another before releasing the charge. They popped and sparked, twisting uncontrolled into a third that had waited too long to pull out of its dive. I stepped aside, the three of them dropping just a few feet from me and setting the carpet on fire. One of the cats, a harlequin colored tom, had climbed to the top of a display case and jumped about six feet into the room to land on the back of another of the dragons. The cat kicked away just a couple of feet from the ground, the force of it causing the little mechanism to snag on the carpet and tumble, tangling itself in its wings. Another red tabby pounced on it from behind one of the courtier's chairs and broke something that caused it to stop moving all at once. The cat sat back and started cleaning its paw, bored already.
       By the time I reached the king and his guards I'd zapped two more and there was only one left flying around the dome of the chamber. It looked different than the others. Larger, and somehow more organic. Before I could order the windows on the second level closed it dove out and flapped its way out across the city, following the river out of town.
       I noticed that my arm was swelling where I'd been bitten, and realized that the mechanism was poisoned. "Has the king been bitten?"
       "No, my guards acted quickly, I am unharmed." His Majesty turned to the nearest guard and sent him to fetch the doctor. "I've seen this before, the doctor can stop the poison. I wonder why they chose such a weak poison. You're going to be uncomfortable for a couple of days, but the doctor will pull you through. Unless this isn't really what I think it is, it isn't even fatal."
       "I think this was supposed to be a message," I stated, "So who have we ticked off, now?"
       "I really have no idea. I think that should be the first thing you figure out for us when you feel better."

       The dialog in the dream seemed a bit stranger in the phrasing, but this is essentially what was said. I wish I could remember the exact words, it was almost like speaking in a different language, very Latin. Even while I was watching the dream, I kept seeing frozen moments of time with white borders around them. I knew I was imagining the whole thing, but somehow the panels seemed like they were real.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home