.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Recording, 3D Mummy, Desert Road Trip

       Recording of "The King and I" for the drama group at the small town HS I had started working for. I had made a recording directly off the mixer board to demonstrate the quality you could get from it. I put it in the drama teacher's office and had it playing through her small desk speakers so she and the kids could hear it when they came in after their rehearsal. It got a very good reception and we agreed to use the mixer board to feed the audio track of the video they were making.
       I then dreamed that I had made, textured and partially colored a virtual miniature of a headless mummy. I stopped coloring it because it didn't look right. I then constructed and rendered a diorama (again, virtual) of its tomb, including its sarcophagus, which had some rather intricate carvings on it from a dream I'd had. There was an adjacent throne room, I had some trouble moving and placing the mummified deity on the throne, it wouldn't sit upright. I thought I'd accidentally applied some sort of physics or constraints, but couldn't find them in the model tree. Finally I gave up and left the mummy slumped over almost sliding out of the throne like it had just not had enough energy to make it fully to the throne.
       S and C and A and C were traveling with N and I in some sort of adventure/roadtrip. We'd rented a truck to tow the caravan wagon I'd built, and N and I had all of the cats with us. We were out in the desert in New Mexico or Arizona exploring an old abandoned mine (rumored to be haunted) when a section of the tunnels rumbled some distance from us.
       We raced over to see what was going on. S and I winding up our LCD flashlights as we approached. When the dust settled, we were in a carved room that looked just like my diorama, even down to the relief carved into the sarcophagus. Only S and I wanted to go on after that.
       I quickly found the opening to the throne room, and there, in the bright blue light of the our LED flashlights, was the decayed remains of the mummy slumped against the gilded throne. It looked, from the layer of dust on it, like it wasn't finished being colored either.
       "Now, that's just creepy," S ventured.
       "Better get some pictures, or no one will believe this. Good thing my Blender files are time stamped." I pulled the camera out of its case and handed the remote flash to S.
       About the third shot of the room and we heard a noise behind us. The mummy, though headless, had straightened itself in the throne. I took one last shot and then S and I started running.
       "I don't remember that happening in the game!"
       "We never got that far..."

Ad astra per technica,
FF

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home