.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Dreams Bad Class Leads to War, Playing Old Game

      The Class went bad. I was disappointed. The professor said something that made the rest of the students laugh again. I couldn't here what it was. The professor began to speak again. He said something that was completely inconsistent with logic. I pointed it out with a similar construction, one that was humorous. The class was laughing again. Expecting me to say something else. I asked a direct question about the material, something historical, something he could answer with a fact. Something that I hoped would bring the class back to being useful again. The fact, sadly for the professor, didn't support what he was saying either. Neither did the next set of facts I was able to elicit. Pretty soon I was driving the class forward, but in a direction that was different than the professor wanted, even if it was all based on the factual knowledge he was able to provide.
      Unable to control the logical development, and not happy just to be the provider of the facts, the professor abandoned the class and turned us out to be consumed by the war. I made my way out to the trenches, where I was able to find a cozy spot to hunker down with a bunch cats. I was telling every one who went by to go back the other way. For some reason, they did. Eventually the enemy came through, they wanted to know where everyone went. I told them our side had all disguised themselves and made their way over the border into their homes, since we needed the jobs they'd left behind when they took up arms against us.
      They thought about that for a bit, then shot me in the legs and decided they'd just better go home. The war was over, because, of course, when they got home their jobs were waiting for them. I was left on the battle field. The professor came out and lorded it over me that we'd all got what we'd deserved. I told him I was sorry for the way his class had turned out, but as far as I knew, I'd talked our way out of the war, and I'd been the only casualty. Economics could trump warfare if both sides could be made to see reason. He was P.O'd that there was no longer anyone out here fighting the war. He was even more ticked when he found out I'd sent them all home to make wealth. He then ran out into the battle field and broke the dam, flooding the place.
      I managed to crawl out of the trenches, and called most of the cats out as well. The water rushed through the trenches and washed the debris away. The water barely came up over my legs where I sat, covered with cats trying to stay dry. When the water receded people came out to see what had happened, and to fill in the trenches and plant crops.
      Some of them recognized me, and helped me back to the infirmary at the college. Several Doctors were interning there, so they diced over who would get to remove my bullets and stitch me back together. Because it was a learning hospital, and I was a "peace hero" it was going to be free to me. All I had to do was sign a waiver.

      I also dreamed I was playing Quake II or something similar. I was in the warehouse heading up to the room where the materializer was located. Just in time I remembered there was a powerful badguy with a rail gun across from the door. I opened the door and flung myself to the side. I reached around and fired the laser pistol a few times to get a take on how many were waiting and how close. I took care of the closest ones by tossing a grenade through the door. It bounced off a low wall right to the other side of the concrete barrier. I could tell from the whoosh! Splat! That there was no longer a badguy waiting there for me. I remembered I had a grenade launcher so pulled it out and sent a spread through the doorway as I dove to the other side. The blue trails of a railgun round arced through the center of the door.
      I hadn't been hit! The grenades thundered in the other room. I heard several more splats. So ran into the room diving down behind the short wall. I remembered there was a gatling gun grenadier on the other side of the depression. I braced myself to run back out of the room if I heard grenades being launched towards me. None come. I heard the mechanisms of the treaded undercarriage of the alien with the rail gun. I hadn't taken him out with the grenades, and now I didn't have a clue as to where he was located. I fired another spread of five grenades and heard them bouncing around. One of them struck home and exploded, the others went off on their timers a couple of seconds later. That's some pretty sophisticated programming for a grenade. I rolled out into the narrow hallway at the end of the manufacturing pit. The rail gun was on the ground. I slunk up and grabbed it.
      Still twenty rounds of ammunition. I made my way back into the entry area, and stepped out into the open. The grenadier stepped out from behind a pillar and raised his grenade launcher. I hit him with a round from the rail gun and knocked him back, the grenade bounced off the ceiling and detonated at his feet. I raced down the hallway hoping to get the drop on him, knowing I hadn't taken him down yet. I realized that I could actually shoot at things and hit them, must be because I was playing a game....Woke up at that point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home