.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

So Many Dreams, Can't hold them all

The Hero Voice
My siblings and I were in a conference room near the top of a skyscraper. DF was commenting that he couldn't understand how DM and I were able to do the things we did. We were trying to explain to him how we knew what we knew, and how we knew that he had many of the same abilities. DM and I could both fly, we could feel each other's presense, we knew how many people were around us. DF understood the last one, as a security officer he had used that ability himself, but hadn't yet realized it was anything super ordinary. Additionally DM could make herself appear as any age and nearly any size within 100 pounds or so of her real weight. I also had another power, but it was so destructive and uncontrollable I hardly though about it. (Perhaps that is why it was so uncontrollable, no practice.) What really irritated DF is that we were also able to read one another's unvoiced conversations, including his, but he couldn't seem to hear us. We also made him uncomfortable by telling him he had all the same common powers as us in addition something special of his own, something that we couldn't quite tell what it was as he'd not really used it yet.
We were meeting in this little used conference room because there had been something of a family crisis. Mom and Dad had been lost to some nefarious OUTSIDE power. DM and I were pretty sure we could track the OUTSIDER, but we both felt that we needed DF in order to do so. He was not convinced. Finally I managed to find an explanation that seemed to help him. When we were in a situation, there was a timber to our internal voice that showed us the safest or most effective line of thinking and action, DM, DF and I called it the same thing since we were small, the Hero Voice. Not only did we have the same description of it, but sometimes it told us the exact same things, like how we needed to be here in this room on this day. Even DF had to admit that is what he though he'd heard when DM called us.
I turned to the large windows. Listen, ask this question, what is going to be the safest exit from here in mere moments. He looked around, frozen in front of the floor to ceiling windows along the side of the conference room. DF blanched, and then shook it off. "You're creeping me out."
"Yes, me too, but I can tell you heard it, too." That's the only way we're getting out of here. I put my hand on his shoulder. "And it's gonna be soon, too."
DM shifted into an extremely thin 19 year old 103 pound, harmless looking form just as the conference room doors opened. The OUTSIDER wasn't expecting anyone to be here.
"Get away!" the Hero Voice shouted at DM and DF, I could tell they both heard it. DF took DM's hand, almost involuntarily, as I lifted the director's podium to throw it through the window.
"The window isn't breakable," gloated the OUTSIDER.
But I listened to the Hero Voice, and struck the window three resounding taps, the first two setting up a vibration and the third ripping the Lexan window to shards. DM jumped out of the window with DF in tow, Df only hesitating the tiniest amount. They flew off into the city.
The OUTSIDER roared and shifted form. The balding corporate suit shifting into a black dark dragon shape that caused the other suits to recoil in horror. The OUTSIDER shot past me as though I didn't exist so intent it was on my siblings. We had been right. DF had something the OUTSIDER was very afraid of. Too bad none of us could tell what that was.
The suits seemed to recover, I could see a small part of the outsider in each of them take control, and they weren't ignoring me. I stepped out onto a decorative ledge and the Hero Voice guided me along the decorations to a drain pipe, which I grabbed hold of and slid down a couple of floors until I was out of site of the conference room, then jumped to an adjacent building, only using enough power to land myself on the roof behind an HVAC unit.
DM and DF had looped around. They were waiting for me.

Rooftop
I took my brother by the shoulder and asked him to look into my eyes. We connected, I could tell he didn't want to, didn't want to believe, didn't want the responsibility, didn't want to burn, because that was the power that lurked in me. Not just a flame, it was the power that fueled the sun, Fusion, pure, fiery, bright, uncontrolled and suddenly, not uncontrollable. DF held something that was the key to controlling what I could do. In fact, he could quench it entirely if he chose. He almost did, but the Voice calmed him and he listened.
DF turned towards the beach. "Do you hear that?" he asked.
I didn't, neither did our sister, but we knew to listen to him as he ran to the western edge of the roof. He held out his arms as though he wanted to fly, but the thought of his children loomed large and emptied his courage. DM and I grabbed his arms and lifted him into the air. He avoided panic and we circled over the roof of the building for altitude before heading west. The wisps of the OUTSIDER from the suits tagged along behind us. Before we had climbed out, we were no longer supporting his weight, although the part of his brain locked into the family and everyday living refused to believe.

Over the Beach A Previously Unused Power.
We swept out of the city across some canyons to the beach. The OUTSIDER was causing a flock of sea birds to repeatedly dive on the beach goers. It was like watching a scene from the birds, but from on high. The OUTSIDER was killing a few birds and injuring dozens on each swoop. Paniced people seemed confused, and rather than running for cover, the bathrooms, towers, cars, they ran up and down the beach. Only a few seemed to escape the influence of the OUTSIDER, most just looked like ducks in a carnival gallery.
"There!" DF shouted, pulling his arm free of my grasp to point, "and the others are around us."
There was a silent moment as I felt him unlock my power, DM and he dropped below the ring of OUTSIDERs and I struggled to restrain my fission to a slender disk centered on myself. I released, the burn was total from toe to hair. It poured out of me in a sheet that took the wisps with such force they were ionized. The blast of heat ripped through the sky like a sonic boom. The OUTSIDER climbed away from the sheet of Fusing hydrogen and helium, but still was rocked by the blast of the heat wave. I clamped the power down. Even though the blast had been shorter than a flashbulb going off, I could feel the burned beach goers, the temporarily blinded gulls and those who'd been looking at the small patch of sky around me. I myself was toasty, but untouched. The OUTSIDER winged over along the water's surface and shot out to the mountainous islands across the bay.


Mesa of Madness
We follow it to the islands. DF has us put him down on a large mesa of Rock heavily undercut by the waves. He has found his other power, but not the one of flight. He checks DM, and then me. "I don't think you should do that again for awhile."
I look inside myself my Hero Voice agrees, but indicates that I may have to, it won't be as well controlled the next time. There is something building in me that isn't entirely part of me. My heart races, but I don't feel any of the OUTSIDER. I calm back down.
The OUTSIDER has reconfigured itself. I can tell anything but a direct hit with my power will have no effect on it at all. I will have to be touching it. We are too tired to lift DF off the rock, "Leave me!" he shouts. His voice, it is the Hero Voice. DF shrinks to the size of a Cat and launches directly into the OUTSIDER's path. I race to the far edge of the mesa, feeling the burn begin almost against my will. I try to get the OUTSIDER to follow me. DF is trampled, if I can use that description to describe two airbourne beings colliding. She shifts again and rolls away as though injured, I can tell otherwise, but the OUTSIDER laughs and lunges at me. Ignoring for the moment my siblings. I lead it on a chase, looping and dodging in the sky. It is drawing closer, trying to draw the fire out of me. I know why, the more I fly, the less control I will have when the fusion releases. At some point I will have so little control, I will fuse parts of myself. That won't take much to destroy me. I can also tell that I cannot touch the armored front of the OUTSIDER, and at this point, it is not even clear that I will be able to injure its previously unprotected side. Things are getting desperate. DM shoots back into the fight, joining me and easing my burdon by grabbing on to the back of my shirt.
DF tricks it into turning its back on us, by running to the edge of the Mesa like a demented AOL logo, on odd illusion that completely entrances the OUTSIDER. DF shifts from Yellow to Blue as he heads for the rocks below. DM drops me and races to him, he shouting at us to escape, but her Hero Voice urging otherwise, as does mine. I dive onto the OUTSIDER's back and roll under where it is still soft. The power ripples, it laughs at me as it reaches my brother and my fission is doing almost nothing to it. My power rages out of control, I feel the clothing flash away from me and my hair burns down to the roots in an instant. There is a groan from the OUTSIDER. My brother absorbs it's protective cloak into himself. The OUTSIDER cannot fly any longer. DF rolls away to cover DM as she plummets towards us. As his borrowed cloak enfolds them I release collapsing atoms from the air around me, and from the OUTSIDER. The heats melts the rocks, the sea below us rapidly begins to boil. I am enveloped in the OUTSIDER as it tries to become one with me. So I wait until we are under the water and my siblings are behind the island. We fuse, but not, I think, in the way the OUTSIDER had hoped. There is the burn and the flash, and I am momentarily more than whole, but not whole. There is no OUTSIDER, there is no me other than my awareness of not me, and the shock of my siblings who also feel the me that is becoming not me. DF flings the cloak and the ability of flight at me with Heroic Force, he tumbles towards the sea until his own ability to fly manifests, his fear forgotten. I reach for his offering, but the connections are thinning to this world. I try them on, I try to hold them. They are slipping from me. Then I look for the Voice. "Let it go."
I do.
The fire of the sun fills the hollow of the cloak. I feel no burn I feel nothing. I know I am bouncing on the surface of the ocean like a helium balloon grown slightly too heavy. But there is no control, no touch of the outside save the presense of my siblings. They tow the echoes of me home with them.

Interdimensional Space Transport
Hard Landing
Midge and I and a crew of about 5 others are forced to land hard when a lift motor goes haywire and shreds itself about 3300 meters above the ground. We bounce around a bit no one is injured, just our vessel.

Trading for Supplies and Parts
We make contact with the landowner, who luckily for us just decides to charge admission to "see the crashed spaceship!" and calls it even. We manage to make some trades with the folks we'd originally come to see. Their gear was not damaged by the hard landing. We did have to unload a bunch of other stuff as dinged and dented. I managed to get some spares and traded for some pharmaceuticals that, though not rare here, would bring us enough to buy more cargo at our next stop.

Makeshift Repairs
The quality of the parts I was able to assemble left a bit to be desired. We had to take apart a couple of flow regulators and use their parts in the broken engine. It meant that we had no failsafe on three of the four engines, but we would be able to limp along on one once we were back in space. There were space stations where we could trade our cargo for repairs, although that would leave us empty without a cargo, and only the option to haul passengers. Not the most lucrative jobs available.

Back into the Black (Thanks Joss)
We manage to pick up a few passengers, they liked what they saw for some reason and trusted us to get them out there. (And we were half as expensive as anyone at the actual space port.) We climbed out of the quarry, and roved over to the laser booster for an assist into orbit. (Thank you passengers.) Only one of the fuel regulators failed, and we were thinking we could fix that in transit.

Pizza and Beer and Doggerel and Poetry Show.
Redreamed parts of the conversation with SV and AH at Killer Pizza from Mars. Only this time there was a group of about 5 poets and 4 actors.

Nan at the Market with the Ever Growing List
Started without any basket because we just needed to stop for "a few things." I couldn't hold everything she'd collected so went for the little hand basket, by the time I found her again, she had too much for that, so I went back for the larger basket, again, getting back and there was too much stuff. I went for the final time and brought back the largest shopping cart I could find.

Cats Walking

Ginger and the Muffin family were out in the park walking, but they weren't supposed to be there with us. Jolly time rounding them up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home