.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Friday, October 28, 2005

Dream Job Interview, Ostrich Farm

3 interviewers,
Glass Staircase up to the testing Room.
Card game like Penrose tiles the object of which was to come up with a valid course and make it to the finish line. Draw up to 3 tiles and place 2 per turn was the basic game. It was not legal to place a tile that would make a dead end for a racer. They indicated that they were thinking of adding some rules so I suggested, in counter to their Laser sniper (one each) that cars get armor, one each, but it would slow the car down to one tile per turn. They liked that. One of them started a stopwatch. Later I thought of another marker that would allow you to switch places, and another that would allow you to switch the start and finish. I said you might have either limitations, or everyone had one poker chip for each item and could trade turns for chips, etc. They liked the idea of "vehicle modifications". I then played around with a large touch screen that I arrayed out like a two screen laptop, you could rotate the graphics, use virtual keyboard or writing entry spaces, etc. The device would have no keyboard just two touch pads folded in on each other. They asked if I'd ever used the large touchpad before. I hadn't but it worked a lot like The Gimp desktop with everything undockable and mobile, with the addition of text input modules. (Like having KWrite always open for notes, but being able to cut and paste the text as text as well as script or image.)
There was a miniatures set with pirate ships from plastic card stock. One of them had fallen over in the moss, making it look like Kali or Vishnu on the sail. "Thuggee pirates, the scourge of the Indian Ocean. Only we could have come up with strictly vegetarian pirates." I could tell they were impressed by that observation. They all nodded to one another. There was a line of RPG miniatures that was attractive. I told them I had been gaming a homebrew set of rules for a couple of decades, and as much as I like miniatures my group liked the using powerpoint with the maps on the background layer and markers for them in a top layer with me drawing the encounter areas and loading the bad guys as we went. I found that the more abstract the icons the better in many circumstances. "More imagination comes into play that way." The one with the stopwatch clicked the stopwatch and read out "20 minutes. The best yet." I must have looked confused.
"All we're looking for is one idea, hopefully good, or something we can springboard off of for each test question."
"You just gave us enough for half a year of development just on the dual clamshell and RPG support applications."
"That would be considered a good day's work around here."
"Hell, the computer thing's a whole week's work." Added the president, who up to this point hadn't said much.
I realized I would like it here.

Dreamed Midge and I moved to the country with our cats and two baby ostriches. Little John kept jumping the ostriches then leaping away before they could kick him. "you're going to regret this when they grow up." Later he got to meet a grownup Ostrich, it almost got him and then chased him around the yard for about 5 minutes before I was able to drop a laundry basket over him. I don't think he was going to bother the babies much any more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home