.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The Capsized Kayak part II

Multiple glitches this morning, this is the third try for this part.
 
    Scott and I hauled ourselves out of the water as we entered the cove. We were able to follow the bright yellow kayak from the rocky edge of the cove until it stopped drifting, having wedged itself in some tumbled rocks. There were a couple of mobile homes on the bluffs overlooking the cove. It was completely dark by the time we managed to make our way up to them. I wanted to knock on the door and ask if we could borrow some fishing tackle or rope. For some reason Scott was opposed to that idea. I looked around on the shelves outside one of the trailers and found a small anchor with some 1/8th inch cord tied to it.
As I started the measure out the cord a small arm reached out of the screen covering the window behind the shelf and grabbed the cord. Scott and the child began a tug of war.
"Hello, do you mind if we just borrow this for half hour or so?" I asked.
     Before I could get an answer the child's mother shot out the side door and began wailing on Scott with a broom or rake, I ran around the front of the mobile home, laughing so hard I couldn't talk.
     I made it all the way around the mobile home, just passing the door when a young boy stepped out to see what was going on. "I told you we should have knocked and asked first" I said as I grabbed the rake on a back swing. "He's had enough now, I think he's earned his lesson." I gave her back the broom.
     After explaining our trouble she agreed to let us borrow the anchor and rope so we could raise our kayak. She was amazed that we'd swam so far after it, "it must me more than a mile!"
     "I think it is shorter by sea," I offered as an explanation.
    At this point Miranda mewed in my ear because she wasn't being cuddled enough.

--
ad astra per technica,
FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home