.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Mixed Fields and a Previously Dreamed

The Mixed Fields dream started out in a meadow, butterflies were flitting around, cicadas were singing, and the sun was playing dodge-cloud in a warm late-afternoon sky. I could smell the different grass flowers, and was waiting for the moment when the hay-fever would strike. As I walked through the meadow, trying, as much as possible, to stay on the tiny little game trails so I didn't collapse some poor critters' burrows, the phone dinged.

A friend (a short brown-haired woman, who I don't think I actually know, a mix of J and N perhaps) had sent me a meeting request. I accepted and made my way back across the meadow and down the hill where I came to the address where she wanted me to meet. It was a church, and my friend SS was inside, presiding over a very informal sounding mass. I listened for a little bit, mostly looking for the person who'd asked me to meet them. I head a commotion outside so went to see what was going on, as I was sure that was my friend...and her very large dogs. She was having trouble holding on to the pups, and one of them broke away, racing directly into the church. The other, determined to make things just as interesting, dragged my friend off around the back of the church. I ducked into the side door, hoping to be able to head the dog off at the pass. The dog reached the front of the church just as I entered through the side doors. The reaction of the congregation frightened the dog, who barked and growled. I crossed the church and opened up the door, calling the pup's name. He spotted the open door, and without stopping to acknowledge me, he raced out only stopping long enough to sniff the ground before heading off after my friend and the other doggy doggy companion. I stopped at my car before joining the chase. I don't know why I was hoping to find a leash in there, because it was just like it is now, chess set, re-usable bags, extra jacket, Pirateer, first aide kit, roll of paper towels and some microfiber squares. I grabbed the cargo net off the top and the squares before heading out across the small cemetery to where I heard barking.

Instead of rejoining my friend and the one dog she managed to still have some control over. The dog was sitting about fifteen feed away, encouraging the other dog to make a break for it. My friend was arguing with a groundsman about the dogs being creatures of god and not devil's spawn. At the moment I was more inclined to agree with the groundsman, who made a move towards the free dog, terrified, the big animal jumped the four foot stone wall, and I could hear him yelp and crash through brush on the other side. There as a steep slope, covered in low bush that led down into a stone wash. The dog was limping and running, scrabbling on the soft wet stone and so I carefully climbed over the wall at a spot where I could land, then slid down the hill. The going was easier for me, so I managed to catch up with the dog, who just collapsed into a whimpering ball. I hooked two hooks of the cargo net to his collar, then covered his eyes and ears with the microfiber squares. I hugged him until his breathing slowed down. He didn't seem to be bleeding anywhere, but his feet were red and some of his toe nails were pretty ragged looking. I couldn't get him to stand up, so ended up picking him up, he must have weighed about seventy five to eighty pounds. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get him to the side of the wash and up over the stone wall once I got there, so looked down the wash. I spotted a road crossing, and the hill was shallower there, and only about a six foot climb. I figured I could make it that far and put him down on top of one of the culverts. I shouted up at my friend to get her car and meet me on the bridge, then I started walking.


Just before waking I was remembering another dream I had recently (and neglected to write when it was fresh.) In the dream I was visited by two ravens, who by their actions made it clear that they wanted me to follow them. We walked up the street and over into a construction area, there I found a discarded hammer, with a design of a cloud and lightning stamped on the face.

While telling L about the dream, I figured out where the elements had come from. I had been re-reading Two Lumps, and the kittens in one story arc were named after Odin's ravens. That same day, I was repairing some of the drawers from the bed frame (which I'm thinking I may turn into a couple of couches for the living room.) I couldn't find my hammer, finally I remembered that I'd put it where I could get to it easily when I was ready to tackle prying out the rest of the carpet tack strips in the master bedroom closet. Eventually I discovered I'd spilled a pile of donation clothing over it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home