.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Out of Control, Hostile Gods

        I know I had a dream before the one that follows, but the last dream I had this morning, with its out of control feelings and lush green hills and forests drove the memory of the first dream of the night clear out of my head.

        I dreamed I was with N, or someone like her, in a Plymouth like Cecil, only this one was a convertible model. We were driving through a very rural area. The top was down, the air was warm but not unpleasantly so. The farms and forests were all browns and greens, peaceful to the point of feeling empty.

N-alike was conversing with me as we drove. We stopped along side the road for a picnic. After the picnic, yummy food and good company,  I found myself driving off into a rutted overgrown road rather than being able to make the turn back to the main road. I tried to veer off in the direction of the main road, but the car suddenly wouldnt steer, and wouldnt slow down. I even had to shut the motor off to get it to finally glide to a stop. I found that I could steer just a little bit, about enough to keep us on the track.

        We found ourselves at the end of the road, overlooking a canyon just beyond a split rail fence. There was a farm of some sort in the canyon. Like the others wed passed on the road, it looked like a pleasant but abandoned place. There were crops in the fields, but also a large number of weeds and other signs of decay were showing. Paint peeled from the barn and house, fence gates were open, and there were no chickens in the coop, although there were some on the porch roof and atop the barn. I saw no larger animals like cows or horses, or people. There were no cars or trucks either, though earlier wed seen a couple of tractors in the fields, one tipped over with weeds growing up through its back wheels.

        I looked around the low hills, and decided to make my way up to the top of a nearby rise that seemed a bit higher than the others. There was a stand of trees on part of it, but I figured I would have a pretty good view of where we were.

        N-alike suggested that I take the goat.

        I looked, and there was a goat in the back seat. I couldnt seem to find any reason to have the goat in the first place, so I left it behind.

        As I approached the top of the hill, a female centaur and a large orange boar came out of the forest together. (Centaur hunter from WOW?) The woman asked if she could do something for me.

        We just need to know where we are and how to get back to where we were going. Thank you for offering.

        That requires a sacrifice, she stated.

        I realized that I should have brought the goat. What sort of sacrifice would the goat have been, it isnt really mine. I dont even know how it got in the car.

        We must be appeased.

        Goofy rules, I said, resigned.

        The Boar launched himself at me and the POV shifted to me watching from some distance as both the boar and the centaur attacked me.

        Now, how is that supposed to get us back on the right road? I decided that gods and demigods must be crazy. I watched myself fall. Then they started chewing one me for a bit.

        They left after a bit, apparently satisfied.  I guess I should have brought the goat, though I couldnt see how that would have made any difference as they just wandered back into the forest. N alike was still in the car waiting with the goat.

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home