.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Forging Copper, Doe Escapes from Lion, Chaos in the Brain


      I dreamed last night of forming copper wire into a couple of shapes, then placing them in a sandy substance on top of the coffee table. The sandy substance was thick and damp, I was trying to smooth the top of it to reveal the copper shapes (one a pentagram and the other a five petal flower I had forged out of another pentagon.) The sandy stuff was damp enough that if I vibrated the surface it would liquefy like beach sand sometimes does. I then tapped the surface to smooth it down to where the copper designs would be partially revealed. Unfortunately the copper was heavier than the gritty black stuff, and kept sinking further into it.
      In another part of the dream I was casting my own anvil in the back yard. I had made the form from clay and used more clay to make the mold. I was melting iron and pouring it in the back yard. I was using some sort of brick furnace that I'd built myself as well.
      I was researching blacksmithing last night, so I have a pretty good idea where this came from. While I haven't actually done any blacksmithing, I have done some coppersmith and silversmith work on jewelry items (lost wax casting and hammer forging).
      I was also back at the lake (Bear Lake) where N's family reunion was held. This time I was out on the dock watching the wind come across the lake. There were no clouds and no other indications of weather, just a strong swirling wind.
      There was a large doe in the water, she was struggling to get across the lake ahead of a lion. The doe being taller managed to get to the shallow part of the lake and was able to push off against the bottom. Half swimming and half leaping, she managed to escape up the shore beyond the dock between the cabins. The lion finally gave up chasing the doe, but found itself tired and in the middle of the lake. It looked around, unsure of which way to swim. If I'd had a boat I would have helped it back to the other shore. I sure wasn't going to swim in after it. The lion finally decided to head back to the hilly forest on the far side of the lake. In the dream the far side of the lake was a lot closer than in reality. I watched the lion drag itself up the slope and vanish into the woods.
      There was another dream that was all swirling colors and ringing tones, random emotions, but nothing concrete or identifiable. The sound, though chaotic on the surface, still moved with a complex underlying structure and rhythm that lived more in the silences than in the sounds. I wondered if this was what electrical interference in my brain would feel like. I checked for headphones and didn't find any. (I don't have headsets in the bedroom, perhaps one of the cats was curled around my head again.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home