.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Friday, March 04, 2016

Sent Out

The step grand daughter and I were sent out, instructed to not return for at least six hours. Dad was having a party and didn't want either of us hanging around the house underfoot.

So, the teen and myself headed out to the boardwalk to kill six hours. Fortunately there was a movie playing that we both wanted to see, and I had to promise, after getting our tickets, to let her go into the theater on her own, just in case her friends were there.

We ended up sitting together in the movie anyway, it did take a few minutes into the preview before she gave up on finding any of her friends and so sneaked in next to me. We reviewed the upcoming movies based on their trailers, making a list of the must see on the big screen, wait for it, and the "what were they thinking?" which we'd look at if we were bored, and finally the no and Hell no films. Oddly, we pretty much agreed on most of the films. Wish I could remember more about movie, as it was pretty funny. I thought that was probably too bad for her future dating self.

We then did some window shopping along the boardwalk. I pointed out that the theater was shaped like a ship, realizing as I did so that I'd probably told her that before, in fact, probably every time we'd come down to the boardwalk. To her credit she simply looked over at the theater, and agreed with me. I decided not to tell her that it sank once, as I'm pretty sure I'd told that tale before as well. "I'll save it for senility," I thought to myself.

"You do know why they sent us away, don't you?" She looked at me with a funny little smirk.

I nodded. I was pretty sure I did, the two of us had a way of taking over any conversation we were part of, not intentionally, but it was what it was. Frequently we'd be conversing and other people would drift into range. We'd open up the conversational circle, and then they would never leave.

"They're going to talk about sex."

I laughed, not exactly the reaction she was looking for. I searched for something truthful but generic to say, as I wasn't really ready to talk about parents talking about sex and flirting it up at their parties. Not really Grandpa material, I thought. "I'm pretty sure at their age the topic still has some interest."

"Ick."

I steered the conversation onto the topic of cute shoes and purses. Despite her rather tomboyish behavior, she was, at least in the clothing and accessories department, a girly girl.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home