.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Thursday, October 09, 2014

Courier

I dreamed I was working as a courier, flying with a locked silver case handcuffed to my arm. I had no real idea of what was in the case, but the actual item I was carrying was a small SD card tucked into a business card in my wallet. The case was essentially a distraction.

Sure enough, whoever it was who wanted the data I was carrying managed to cause the cuffs to pop open during an "unexpected" layover. I was knocked down and the case was stolen. The police were polite by ineffective, which was fine, I am sure the wildly extravagant but pointless activity gave the thieves time to think they had truly gotten what they wanted. I quietly slipped away from everyone and booked myself on another shuttle to get me to my destination, hopefully before my antagonists could figure out they had several terabytes of encrypted garbage. I would arrive before my scheduled time, as I was taking a sub orbital shuttle, for a rather princely sum of cash, which would alert my employers to provide extra security as the bait had been taken. I was glad we hadn't surgically implanted the data chip, as that would have been messy and possibly fatal.

As I boarded what was essentially a rocket ship, I realized that I may not actually have any real data, and could quite possibly be a full on decoy mission. I wasn't too happy about that. At least whoever was after the data I carried wasn't willing to commit a very public murder to get it. I decided that I needed to make sure I had lots of company when I reached my destination. I looked out over the super modern airfield with actual launch towers (Mag-lev tracks that accelerated the rockets up over the city before the on-board boosters kicked on.)

I don't think I've ever seen so many acres of "don't hit me orange" and titanium white. It was much a "yes, we're living in the future, right now!" moment.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home