.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Friday, August 12, 2011

A, Lawnmower Man

The dream started out as the standard "I've lost my car in this huge dirt parking lot" dream, but soon I found myself standing in my driveway. The yard on either side was overgrown with tall lush grasses mixed in with Queen Anne's Lace (Much like my real back yard this spring after our unusually heavy rains. The butterflies and lizards love it. And now there's a hawk living there as well. All this went through my mind while the dream was going on.)

The yard and house was a mix of both my and my parents' place, yet neither at the same time. The grass was tall, well over a foot high, and filled the front yard from the house to the drainage ditch on the other side of the picket fence that separated my property from the dirt road. Just looking at it brought up mixed feelings. I loved the thick lush growth, and the animals it provided shelter for, but I didn't like how it made the house look like it was abandoned.

A arrived with his lawnmower. It wasn't significantly different from my own, but I decided not to point that out, because it was, at least, newer. His mower charged through the thick grass and Queen Anne's Lace, filling the bag up every few feet. I thought, again, about bringing out my mower, as it is a mulching mower. I decided the mulch would be so thick that it would choke out the plants underneath. I stopped A and took the full mower bag back around the side of the house.

The path around the side of the house was just like my parent's home, a long walk with the house on one side and a cinderblock wall on the other. There was no hill on this property, the wall was more of a wind break. In the far back corner, where the waterfall and pond would be, was my much depleted compost heap. As I was showing A where to dump the clippings, and how rich the dirt at the bottom of the pile was, N came out of my back kitchen door with her new boyfriend. He was dressed in jeans and a red flannel shirt, almost the same as my own.

He was tall and slender, just like she likes, except for the short dark hair. It seems she was willing to compromise after all. I found their presence irritating, especially since they were drinking the last of my iced tea from a pair of collectable Star Wars glasses from the display case in the front hall. (Interestingly enough, I don't actually own any such glasses, and am really unlikely to.) Did I mention that he was thin? Irritatingly so? Good.

Just for fun, I'm going to try to include a picture of the actual note I wrote at three in the morning to help remember the dream. Or not. I can't quite figure out how to get it here from the iPad...still learning. Just ride posting it by mail. The orientation was wrong somehow. There are some limitations on the device that I don't think I would have had with a netbook.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home