.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Shift Happens.

        I dreamed I was changing to go out to lunch with N. While I was looking out the back slider, the world was suddenly filled with hot pink commas with white highlights. They filled my field of vision, and when they were gone the backyard was a meadow surrounded by tall elms and oaks, the hill of ivy completely gone. The house looked the same, but the world was different looking. I went out to the drive to take little red up to the restaurant, but the car was now a sleek little three wheeler (tail dragger) very nice, but not what I was expecting.

        All electric whine and goodness, I sped to our meeting. While we were eating I described the swirling purple commas, and N said she had them too, but they were usually followed by a migraine. She steadfastly denied that the world had changed in any way. Little Red had always been a tripod, and I had always worked from home doing game design and writing articles for gaming publications.

        In a later game/dream, I was talking with a large person who I knew was an alien invader. We managed to get into our safe room, but not before I had so angered our alien overlord that an orbital bombardment had commenced. We then shifted back in time, and I tried some different conversation. At least there was no bombardment before the alien invasion started.

        We shifted back again, barely making it into the safe house. I had rescued a very pregnant woman. Her child was alien. The next set of meetings with the aliens were a shocker for them. They thought they were related to us, as the child was of their DNA. They still invaded but were somewhat polite about it.

        We shifted back again, a couple of tries, some with better and some with worse outcomes. In one we were all dead and the dead-man shift brought us all back. Oddly, only myself and the alien child remembered being killed. We managed to convince the powers that be, at last, to send us out to meet the first alien infiltrators, and from there managed to get a high level meeting, and from there, information on how to create a shift in the weather and biology of the great deserts to make room for the alien fleet. Sure enough, that last time, we were able to negotiate a peaceful integration into the world. Many aliens chose to stay in the desert areas created to be home-like for them, but many others eventually made their way in our society.

        We raced to the safe house to turn off the wayback machine, deciding that this seemed like a great outcome compared to everything that had come before. In doing so, I ran into an alien who was like myself and the child. She remembered the time shifts, the conflict.

Unfortunately the alien preferred the timeline where they slaughtered most of humanity and took the whole world for themselves, forcing us to live on the ocean or in the desert areas of the world. I certainly didnt want to end up in that world, but could see that I wouldnt have time to shift us out of the matrix, if she went, we would go, as well.

        I managed to hook her by her horns on a low electrical conduit, just barely keeping her from triggering a backwards time jump, one where she knew who we were and where we were.  I managed to disarm her as the rest of the team dismantled the time shift device.

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home