.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Super Hero Bar


      I dreamed I was in a bar full of super heroes. Various ancient gods, spandex clad crime fighters, techno investigators and their sidekicks and hangers on. I was definitely feeling out of place in there. I ordered a beer and took a seat at the end of the bar near a couple of more normal looking folks.
      One of the women came over and struck up a conversation. I tried to convince her that I didn't have any super powers, but she insisted on being hurt that I was being so secretive. After a few minutes another gentleman came over and explained that no one without the glow could get into the place, so either I had super powers, or was intimately involved with someone who had super powers, who was currently in the bar.
      "Does anyone claim this sidekick?" the woman asked. I was enjoying the look at the back of her costume, it almost didn't have one. Everyone looked over, I waved at them. Most of them waved back, somehow I knew they would. No one claimed me, though. I knew that also. She turned back to me, a frown on her face. "Maybe you just didn't know until now that you're a super."
      "He could be the incarnation of an ancient god."
      "Or the avatar of a god," quipped another.
      A Dr. Strange looking fellow with a moon and stars cape walked over and looked at me, apparently checking out my aura. "A Dimension Walker, possibly or possessed."
      "Possessed? That doesn't sound very heroic." Thor, or someone who looked like I thought Thor should look crossed the room to tower over me.
      "Hey! You know the rules, no rough stuff or you're all out of here on your kesters. He got through the doors, he passed the evil detector, which is more than I can say for some of you; he paid cash for his beer, and he left a tip. That's more than some of you mugs." The bartender was sounding more Irish by the second. "As far as I'm concerned he's one of the good guys.
      I thanked him, and tossed him another ten rubles, "I've got to go, someone just stole my rental car." I knew that for an absolute fact, I don't know how but I did. The Dr. Strange fellow just smiled as I left the room. I couldn't help but feel that I was being watched as I strode across the parking lot to the auto repair place.
      The auto shop was closing up for the night when I stepped into their garage just under the closing door.
      A mechanic said something in Russian (I think.) I told him I was here to enquire about my rental car, and pointed to the mostly disassembled frame tucked under a couple of drop cloths. They had stripped it of almost every part but the frame and the back quarter panels. Oddly, they had set my luggage aside, it was locked and in good anvil cases so they hadn't yet broken into it. They jabbered at me about not being able to prove anything. I walked over to where my luggage was hidden and tossed open the bin. I pulled out one of the cases, opened it, closed it and relatched it.
      "I suppose you're going to tell me this stuff is yours?"
      "Nyet." I understood that. They closed in on me, three of them. I touched the closest, the leader, on the arm. I don't know exactly what I did, but he started crying and backed off in a big hurry. He started yelling orders at his startled companions. They began to pull together parts and started reassembling the car. There were some parts not available, as they had already used them in another vehicle, but they would be able to get them in the morning. I borrowed one of the mechanic's cars, and told him I would be back in the morning. When I took the keys from the mechanic, his fingers brushed the back of my hand, I flooded his mind with the emotional reactions of every one of his criminal victims who was still living. He collapsed to his knees, promising in broken English that the car would be ready, and he would even wax it. "When will this feeling stop?"
      "When you've made amends." I climbed into his car and drove over to my hotel.
      As I drove past the bar, the blonde super hero in the backless dress waved to me. I stopped and told her where I was staying. "Dinner at eight?"
      She smiled and said she'd meet me in the lobby. No matter how good her disguise, I knew I would recognize her. I also knew the night was going to be quite pleasant, for both of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home