.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Sunday, January 14, 2018

No Disintegrations

Dreamed I was playtesting one of my games, this time a computer space simulation game instead of a card or dice game. I was using an ADM (Artificial Intelligence Dungeon Master) to generate the various plots, sub-plots and missions of the Galaxy simulation. As per usual in these sorts of games, it wasn't long before the game took on a reality of its own, and I discovered that when I engaged my two different space drives at the same time, I would shift into an alternate universe. I quickly sat down with my crew and worked out that I'd somehow programmed a way to shift one "universe" through the "cubes" of a tesseract, depending on the side closest to our current travel vector. Further, I calculated that we only had to make one jump similar in the same direction we were headed to go right back to our home universe. So we weren't as lost as we feared we might be.

That's when trouble reared its head. We were hailed and told to stop for boarding. We hit the afterburners and fired up the drives, only, they had taken some damage from our last experiment, and we didn't shift out of the universe, just carved a long curved hyperspace path to another system, and its navigation beacon. We hauled up, drives mostly lame from the extra burst. Fortunately there was an open port that had landing pads available for a limited duration. We had no viable credit in this system, so could only barter with what we had in our holds, and the knowledge of the Trans-Universe Jump technology I'd accidently coded. "Access to an infinity of universes!" my co-pilot bragged, but I was sitting with the engineer I was dealing with, and according to our calculations, while that might well be possible, the way our current drive was configured, we only had access to 8 universes.

"Cant we just point the ship in a slightly different direction and jump to a completely different universe?"

I explained that it didn't work like that, because I'd used a cube shape for my universal vector references. It was a server size and computational resource limitation.

Cut to inside of an alien ship. Darth Vader Mark II was there, talking to a bunch of bounty hunters. "I want them alive. No Disintegrations."

I hadn't remembered programming that into the system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home