.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fermius Firefly

A Dream Log, whenever I remember the dreams I've had.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Marcos, United States

Fermius is a pen name drawn from a series of short fiction I wrote when I published the small press magazine Stellanova (on paper.) I play RPG games to escape from my daily grind as a technology wage slave for the state of California. I eat out a lot in order to do my part in supporting our increasingly service level economy. I am butler to 2 feline masters. If you ask them they will tell you I'm not very good at it, late with dinner, don't have enough hands with brushes in them, and sometimes I even lock them out of their office.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Escape, Ocean to Orbit

        I dreamed that I was trying to help a large group of people escape from our alien overlords. We had a secret base off the coast of California. Late in the evening a bunch of us gathered in wet suits and as many scuba tanks as we could gather. We then swam for it. About half way there we started to run out of air, so had to share the remaining tanks. I was paired up with S, a former student. Fortunately she was small and also a strong swimmer. Amazingly enough, we didnt lose anyone.

        Once at the base, we had adapted alien technology, stolen and gathered over the course of more than a year, in order to create about 700 plus escape vehicles. The plan was fairly simple. Punch a hole through the blockade and send the young men and women to rendezvous with an escape vessel that would warp away to another habitable world. Us older folks, and non-breeders, would pave the way, as we were more expendable.

        S came to me about two hours before we were to launch. She wanted me to be the first father of her children. The best bit: she wanted to do so the old fashioned way.

        Frustratingly, the dream cut away at that point and we were all in space, about to run the blockade. Several of the ships were fitted with nets full of depleted uranium pellets. We launched those in front of our flight path, baking just before reaching the defense line. Lasers flashed invisibly at the small radioactive chunks, allowing us to spot the satellite defenses and target them with our own cannons. The way was clear, and it looked like many of us expendable types would survive our suicide mission. Our attack appeared to be a complete surprise, and the blockade patrols were only able to shoot down slightly more than a dozen of us.

        I didnt know if I had enough fuel to return to earth, and I would almost certainly be picked up if I did. I had fully expected to be killed so hadnt thought through the idea of whether I wanted to go along with the colony, or try to return and continue fighting the aliens.

Ad astra per technica,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home